Friday 18 November 2011

You Been Pawned, Poetry!


Cinquain

Castle,
Big and powerful,
Checking, crossing, fighting,
It's going to checkmate me,
Rook.

Hao Wang
2005



Chess And Arms


He lifted his arms,
"Mate soon!," he said
As he locked his fingers
Behind his head.

He considered the move
He was soon to make
That would end the struggle.
This victory he'd take.

He arched his back,
Took a satisfied breath,
Then looked at me
Like the spectre of death.

An impish smile
Stretched across his face,
And his eyes rolled back
In a pleased grimace.

"My rook goes here
And takes your queen,
Then my knight jumps to
Where your bishop has been."

I studied the board.
He was quite correct.
His analysis clear.
His calculations checked.

I searched my brain
For the right finesse
A subtle move that would
Display my best.

Then Cassia spoke
My muse! My rhyme!
I pointed to his clock,
"You're out of time."

FishOn
2001



THE GAME


She makes her move and hits the clock
On my poor Kingside she's got a lock
Down the file her Queen comes like a truck
This time I think I'm out of luck
Her Blue eyes sparkle as she captures my Rook
She's playing so fast, it must be all Book
She think she's got me up a tree
Yea, guess she spotted that Mate in three
My clock is running Tick Tock, Tick Tock
I'm between the hard place and a Rock
A quick glance at her & I see her grin
She's ready to chalk up another Win
Flag is hanging, it's my move, and YES, by Heck
Now it's a Draw by perpetual Check!
I'm kinda glad I didn't win, I hate to be rude
But it is disconcerting when she plays in the Nude

Chandler Yergin
2002


Pawn to Queen Four

P-Q4
There I go again, pushing Pawn to Queen 4.
I uncross my legs and put both feet on the floor.
My subconscious move when playing this game,
A repetitious move, it's always the same.
I throw him my Gambit, yes he jumps at the chance.
He slammed down his piece,
But it's my turn to dance.
Hand on my forehead, I get in my groove,
Swallowing his spit, he makes his next move.
With his rook open wide. I spring out my trap.
I bring my queen out, now my hands on my lap.
With my queen standing tall and his rook soon to fall,
His chest sinks to his stomach.
Winning this game, he sees he's unable,
Lying his king down flat on the table.
We extend out our hands,
Cause we two are the same,
Nodding our heads, and we both say,
"Good Game!"

Dean Reinglas
2003





CircleSquaredd's Chess Poetry

Submitted by CircleSquaredd on Sat, 02/21/2009 at 9:28pm. 

The Royal Game

Capture the king
Is the royal game

Without mistake you must
Have a plan take shape

Prepare by all means
To fight for the king square

The pawns who aspire
To do good work

For his fellow
Against his mark

Pilot the game to your liking
Go fishing

An ocean full of possibility
No two games the same

A kingdom for commanding
Make inroads and outposts

To travel by horse or elephant
Learn when to surprise

To attack or defend
To deflect the hand with a sword

Ready shielded against spear
Sharpen weapons against the opponent's side

Fight as professionals
To the bare bones

Treasure nothing save the king
Tear down anything in your way

Holdfast and set traps
Consolidate

Try to think more than your opponent might
It takes will to peer into the depths

And knowledge to properly respect
What wise wisdom a simple chess game represents








CHESS

Meet me then, within this grid,
this little wooden battlefield as equals,
as we forget our bodies to inhabit these pieces,
control these spaces, trade threats and responses,
send our thoughts out into possible positions, our eyes
imagining nothing but sweet forks and lancing fianchettoes.
We chessplayers, pretend enemies, bound to our miniature war
inexplicably & inescapably: when did we find ourselves so obsessed,
insidiously seduced to advances and exchanges, lost inside
this abyss of infinite moves, willing servants of it's rules?

- Rael

http://blog.chess.com/Rael/chess-poem


If I put this to the tone and tempo of Charlie Mckenzie in So I married an axe murderer, then it works. otherwise. :-)

17th May 2008, 11:57am
#8
by Feldmm1
United States
Member Since: Dec 2007
Member Points: 613
Thanks for everyone's help so far. I am going to put in "jumping knight" for now, even if it does not really work for the poem. If someone can figure out a good adjective that starts with k, then I can say "Just _________".
17th May 2008, 12:12pm
#9
by AquaMan
Albany, Oregon United States
Member Since: Jan 2008
Member Points: 758
kick.  Like if a knight gets too close to you fortress, you can kick it with a pawn move.
kill the king.

17th May 2008, 12:23pm
#10
by AquaMan
Albany, Oregon United States
Member Since: Jan 2008
Member Points: 758
Not quite what you're looking for, but, from the simpleton poet:

Roses are red.
Violets are blue.
Chess is creative.
And a journey too.
Good in the morning.
Or just before bed.
Play cheater_1, with engine.
Or OTB, all in your head.

17th May 2008, 12:25pm
#11
by Evil_Homer
Perth Australia
Member Since: Aug 2007
Member Points: 1735
AquaMan wrote:  Not quite what you're looking for, but:

Roses are red.
Violets are blue.
Chess is creative.
And a journey too.
Good in the morning.
Or just before bed.
My mother always told me, if you have nothing good to say then say nothing at all. Obviously, I never listened, but perhaps nobody told you at all!!

17th May 2008, 12:30pm
#12
by AquaMan
Albany, Oregon United States
Member Since: Jan 2008
Member Points: 758
Evil, you didn't like my poem? :(  I modified it slightly, already.
17th May 2008, 12:37pm
#13
by emiab
Romania
Member Since: Feb 2008
Member Points: 789
killing move
kinless pawn
kind knight / rook....
kind-hearted
kindred joined forces
kittenish Queen
knotty all pawn position


17th May 2008, 12:38pm
#14
by Evil_Homer
Perth Australia
Member Since: Aug 2007
Member Points: 1735
AquaMan wrote:  Evil, you didn't like my poem? :(  I modified it slightly, already. It's just like cornflakes. Like how can you improve upon perfection :-)






YOUR MOVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment