Friday 17 February 2012

Eeyore On How to Write a Poem or Advice from Beckett's Spirit Animal

 

Thank you for reading this. Surely you have better things you could be doing. I know I wish I did.

To begin--as I suppose we should--how is your weather? It's snowing--ominously--here. Have a look at your own weather. How ominous is it? Make a note. If you happen to have some sun in your part of the forest--don't fall for it. It's only an alarm for the approaching storm. Anyway, make a poem about the weather. If you set forth with a line like "It is miserable--like me" then you are well on your way. But do not indulge overly in this type of thing: "The blue air enlivened my spirit!" Or, if you do, please do it with less volume.

To middle--for that is where we are--try not to make a hash of the rhyme scheme. "Sad" and "bad" are very good partners. "Fun" and "sun" are not such pleasing comrades because they hardly rhyme at all, they sound forced, and they lack what is called verisimilitude. You might try instead "pain" and "rain." Speaking of comrades, you may want to read a draft of your poem to a friend. If you have one. Lucky you.

To end--though I think we always were about to anyway--please know that no one cares. No one minds. And it does not matter. 

Thank you for noticing this.

Signed Eeyore


No comments:

Post a Comment