Friday 13 January 2012

Grrrrratitude and Apologies to ChristianGoth.com!!

puppy poetry
PUPPY
        I don't remember much from the place I was born. It was cramped and dark and we were never played with by the
humans. I remember Mom and her soft fur, but she was often sick, and very thin. She had hardly any milk for me and
my brothers and sisters. I remember many of them dying, and I missed them so.  I do remember the day I was taken from Mom. I was so sad and scared, my milk
teeth had only just come in, and I really should have been with Mom still, but she was so sick, and the Humans
kept saying that they wanted money and were sick of the "mess" that me and my sister made. So we were crated up and
taken to a strange place. Just the two of us. We huddled together and were scared, still no human hands came to pet
or love us. So many sights and sounds, and smells! We are in a store where there are many different animals! Some
that squawk! Some that meow! Some that peep! My sister and I are jammed into a small cage, I hear other puppies here. I
see humans look at me. I like the "little humans," the kids. They look so sweet, and fun, like they would play with
me! All day we stay in the small cage, sometimes mean people will hit the glass and frighten us, every once in a
while, we are taken out to be held or shown to humans. Some are gentle, some hurt us. We always hear "Aw they are so
cute! I want one!" but we never get to go with any. My sister died last night, when the store was dark. I lay my head on her
soft fur and felt the life leave her small thin body. I had heard them say she was sick, and I should be sold at "discount
price" so that I would quickly leave the store. I think my soft whine was the only one that mourned for her as her
body was taken out of the cage in the morning and dumped. Today, a family came and bought me! Oh happy day! They are a nice family,
they really, really wanted me! They bought a dish and food and the little girl held me so tenderly in her arms. I love
her so much! The Mom and Dad say what a sweet and good puppy I am! I am named Angel. I love to lick my new humans.
The family takes such good care of me, they are loving and tender and sweet. They gently teach me right and wrong,
give me good food, and lots of love! I want only to please these wonderful people! I love the little girl and I enjoy running and playing with her.
Today, I went to the veterinarian. It was a strange place and I was frightened. I got some shots, but my best friend, the
little girl, held me so softly and said it would be OK, so I relaxed. The vet must have said sad words to my beloved
family, because they looked awfully sad. I heard severe hip dysplasia, and something about my heart...I heard the vet
say something about backyard breeders and my parents not being tested. I know not what any of that means, just that it hurts me to see my family so sad, but they
still love me, and I still love them very much! I am 6 months old now. Where most other puppies are robust and rowdy, it
hurts me terribly just to move. The pain never lets up. It hurts to run and play with my beloved little girl, and I
find it hard to breath. I keep trying my best to be the strong pup I know I'm supposed to be, but it is so hard. It breaks my
heart to see the little girl so sad, and to hear the Mom and Dad talk about, "it might now be the time."
Several times I have went to that veterinarian's place, and the news is never good. Always talk about Congenital
Problems. I just want to feel the warm sunshine and run, and play, and muzzle with my family. Last night was the worst, pain has been my constant companion now, it hurts even to get up and get a drink. I try to get up but can only whine in pain.
I was taken in the car one last time. Everyone is so sad, and I don't know why. Have I been bad? I try to be good and
loving, what have I done wrong? Oh if only this pain would be gone! If only I could soothe the tears of the little girl. I
reach out my muzzle to lick her hand, but can only whine in pain. The veterinarians table is so cold. I am so frightened. The humans all hug
and love me, they cry into my soft fur. I can feel their love and sadness. I manage to softly lick their hands. Even the
vet doesn't seem so scary today. He is gentle and I sense some kind of relief for my pain. The little girl holds me softly
and I thank her for giving me all her love. I feel a soft pinch in my foreleg. The pain is beginning to lift, I am beginning to
feel peace descend upon me. I softly lick her hand. My vision is becoming dreamlike now, and I see my Mother and my
brothers and sisters, in a far off green place. They tell me there is no pain there, only peace and happiness. I tell the
family, good-bye in the only way I know how, a soft wag of my tail and a nuzzle of my nose. I had hoped to spend many, many
moons with them, but it was not meant to be. "You see, " said the veterinarian, "Pet shop puppies do not come from
ethical breeders." The pain ends now, and I know it will be many years until I see my beloved family again. If only things could have been different.
(This story may be published or reprinted in the hopes that it will stop
unethical breeders and those who breed only for
money, and not for the betterment of the breed. copyright 1999 J. Ellis)


BYE BABY
No more lonely cold nights or hearing that I'm bad
No more growling belly from the meals I never had.
No more scorching sunshine with a water bowl that's dry.
No more complaining neighbors about the noise when I cry.
No more hearing "shut up", "get down" or "get out of here"! 
No more feeling disliked, only peace is in the air.
Euthanasia is a blessing, though some still can't see
why I was ever born If I weren't meant to be.
My last day of living was the best I ever had.
Someone held me very close, I could see she was very sad.
I kissed the lady's face, and she hugged me as she cried.
I wagged my tail to thank her, then I closed my eyes and died.
 
Written by an Animal shelter volunteer in Massena, NY
                                                                                                               
 
Lessons from a Dog
1. Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joy ride.
2. Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.
3. When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
4. When it's in your best interest, always practice obedience.
5. Enjoy it when someone wants to rub your tummy.
6. Take naps and always stretch before rising.
7. Run, romp, and play daily.
8. Eat with gusto and enthusiasm.
9. Be loyal.
10. Never pretend to be something you're not.
11. If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
12. When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close
by and nuzzle them gently.
13. Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
14. Thrive on attention and let people touch you.
15. Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
16. On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shadytree.
17. When you are happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
18. No matter how often you are criticized, don't buy into
the guilt thing and pout. Run right back and make friends


"I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts."
                                                                             -- John Steinbeck 

No comments:

Post a Comment