Tuesday 5 February 2013

Actual Live Transcript with an Online Ikea Customer Service Agent



1976


POEM is launched (later known as POÄNG)
Another IKEA classic is born, the comfortable armchair POEM made of laminated wood, which will later evolve into POÄNG.
See the entire POÄNG series







G'Morning Poetry: Hello, we would like to ask about the poem.

Ikea Customer Service Agent: Hello. I would be happy to assist you.

GP: What is the poem?

ICSA: The Poem is another IKEA classic. It is a comfortable armchair made of laminated wood.

GP: What is the relationship between the poem and social justice?

ICSA: It comes in many colours, too.

GP: Are you saying "diversity" is the relationship between the poem and social justice?

ICSA: I'm sorry--I was typing out my last answer when you sent your other question. I don't know if I understand your question. Can you rephrase it, please?

GP: Is there a relationship between the poem and politics? Can the poem change the world?

ICSA: Well, the Poem has been around since 1976. It's a classic. Many customers the world over associate the Poem with Ikea itself. 

GP: Would you consider the poem a tough read or an easy go?

ICSA: The Poem is a chair. You sit in it.

GP: How is that possible?

ICSA: That's what it's for. The Poem is a chair.

GP: Ah. So would you characterize the poem as "of the people" and yet "ferociously avant-garde"?

ICSA: The Poem is a functional, affordable, smartly-designed chair.

GP: Have you read the poem?

ICSA: Where are you writing from?

GP: Canada. How long is the poem?

ICSA: I think you are misunderstanding me. The Poem is a functional, affordable, smartly-designed chair.

GP: Would you say that the poem is metaphor- or metonymy-driven? 

ICSA: I'm not sure you are understanding me. "The Poem" is the creative name for the chair.

GP: Can we get a copy of the poem?

ICSA: Yes, most definitely. It is widely available at all of our North American stores.

GP: Wonderful. Last question: who wrote the poem?

ICSA: I think I see our misunderstanding. You think the Poem is a poem. The Poem is just a chair.

GP:  Who wrote the poem? Did Billy write the poem?

ICSA: Have I answered all of your questions satisfactorily?

GP: Who is Billy?

ICSA: [The agent is offline] 





No comments:

Post a Comment